The European Central Bank published supervisory banking statistics for the second quarter of 2020.
- Capital ratios of significant institutions increase in second quarter of 2020, with aggregate total capital ratio back to year-end levels at 18.64% (up from 18.11% in first quarter of 2020)
- Aggregate NPL ratio, defined as the ratio of non-performing loans to total loans, declines further to stand at 2.94%, lowest level since data first published in 2015
- Liquidity coverage ratio increases significantly to 165.46% (up from 146.57% in first quarter of 2020)
In a separate statement, euro money market statistics showed that in the fifth maintenance period of 2020, which started on 22 July 2020 and ended on 15 September 2020:
- Daily average borrowing turnover in the unsecured segment decreased from €136 billion ($159.9bn) in the fourth maintenance period of 2020 to €132 billion in the fifth maintenance period of 2020
- Weighted average overnight rate on borrowing transactions in the unsecured segment decreased from -0.52% to -0.53% for the wholesale sector, and remained unchanged at -0.55% for the interbank sector
- Daily average borrowing turnover in the secured segment decreased from €355 to €349 billion, with a weighted average overnight rate of -0.53%